Update terminology on species/nub pages
Summary: Update terminology on species/nub pages
Created: 2011-10-27 09:19:04.57
Updated: 2013-08-29 14:44:26.513
Resolved: 2011-11-08 15:30:37.083
Description: http://portal-static.gbif.org/species/detail.html, http://portal-static.gbif.org/species/name_usage.html:
- Change the header of the first block from "Species Overview" to "Overview"
- In the green top bar, ensure that the text above the taxon name reflects the correct taxonomic rank (e.g. "Species" for Puma Concolor, but "Family" if the name is Felidae)
- In the main navigation section at the top of the page (Occurrences - Datasets - Species - More), keep the term "Species", which is consistent with what the current data portal does
For details on original thread, see https://gbif.basecamphq.com/projects/7935093-portal/todo_items/108055024/comments]]>
Created: 2011-11-07 16:18:17.493
Updated: 2011-11-07 16:18:17.493
Original basecamp discussion:
The portal currently calls a nub usage a "species". Discuss this with Dave please.
Andrea Hahn Wed, 28 Sep at 4:40am
Contacted Dave, waiting for comment:
"Just to kick off a discussion: in the new portal layout, we need to firm up the terminology around taxa. If you look at http://portal-static.gbif.org/species/detail.html, we currently have a title of “Species Overview” for the nub concepts, as well as for the name usage view at http://portal-static.gbif.org/species/name_usage.html. As this page displays for any rank, not only species, using a label of “Taxon Overview” would be more correct, but more cryptic to non-scientific users.
My suggestions would be to
- - Change the header of the first block from “Species Overview” to “Overview”
- - In the green top bar, ensure that the text above the taxon name reflects the correct taxonomic rank (e.g. “Species” for Puma Concolor, but “Family” if the name is Felidae)
- - In the main navigation section at the top of the page (Occurrences – Datasets – Species – More), keep the term “Species”, which is consistent with what the current data portal does
Calling a nub usage a “species” (or “family”, etc), I am aware, is not strictly speaking correct. However, with the general user in view, I would be reluctant to use a title like “Nub usage” instead, as the whole “usage” idea tends to confuse the hell out of most people. What is your take on the terminology here?"
Andrea Hahn Mon, 17 Oct at 7:15am
Suggested changes confirmed by Dave, 17/10/11